Commercial Landlords your rights under the

“Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery” process.

Landlords have a right under Section 72 , Schedule 12 (taking control of goods) of the Tribunals Courts & Enforcements Act 2007  to recover rent payable under the lease from the tenant, without needing to go to court.

Only for rent and only with a valid lease

Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery (CRAR) and can only be applied to the rent (and any interest and VAT) payable under the lease. What this means that items not directly attributable to the tenant’s possession and use of the premises, such as services charges, are not recoverable through CRAR.
There must also be a written lease in place and any contract or lease that seeks to amend or avoid the CRAR provisions will be void.

It must be possible to calculate the rent due with certainty and any arrears must be for at least seven days’ of rent.

Only for commercial premises

CRAR may only be used for commercial premises. Some premises, for example pubs, also have residential accommodation. Provided that the residential part has a separate entrance and a separate lease, then CRAR may be used to recover the rent arrears on the demised commercial lease. A court order is not required. However, if the lease covers mixed use of commercial and residential areas of the property, the landlord will need to obtain a judgment to recover the arrears.

Giving notice to tenants and sub tenants

If the landlord exercises their right to use CRAR, they must give the tenant 7 days’ notice of enforcement after the rent becomes overdue. Any rent owed must also be unpaid at the time the notice is served, as well as immediately before any goods are seized. Once notice has been served, the tenant may apply to court for a set aside or delay of execution. The notice must be served, either by post, hand, fax and electronic communications such as email.

A landlord has the right to tell sub tenants to pay him their rent directly, but must give them at least 14 days’ notice using a prescribed format.

Ending the lease

If you also wish to end your lease and repossess your property, you can forfeit the lease under Common Law, using Wolf Enforcement Services

Enforcement, seizure and sale

Under CRAR, only Certificated Enforcement Agents (previously known as Certificated Bailiffs) are permitted to seize goods belonging to the tenant to recover rent arrears. They can enter through an open or unlocked door or other normal means of entry on any day of the week between 06:00 and 21:00, or the tenant’s normal business hours if different.

Only goods belonging to the tenant on the demised premises, i.e. the property covered by the lease, may be seized. The Certificated Enforcement Agent may not take control of goods with a value greater than the rent owing plus the costs and he must give the tenant a valuation of the items seized.
Tools of the trade used by sole traders will be exempt up to a value of £1,350. Should the seized items go to sale, they must be sold at public auction and seven clear days’ notice of the sale must be given to the tenant.

Contact us to find out more about how Wolf Enforcement Services can manage CRAR on your behalf, from process serving through from enforcement to seizure and sale.

Recovery of Service Charges & Insurance.

At Wolf Enforcement Services we offer a free Debt collection service of the service and insurance charges we are unable to enforce under the Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery process.